Friday 30 March 2012

High after Hockney


So last weekend I took a trip to the Royal Academy to see the much talked about Hockney exhibition. And it didn't disappoint. It took me about 2 hours to get round the exhibit and I had to sit down and have a break as there's a lot to look at.

Hockney's use of colour is so inspiring. Viewing his simplistic landscapes is like watching HDTV; the vibrancy of his work almost pings with clarity. And seeing some his older works that I've known and loved as an art student were quite emotional to look at too. A favourite piece of mine is the Nichols Canyon which I distinctly recall copying as a teenager and it took me back. I remember mimicking his marks and shadings and admiring his technique. Funny what you remember.


The 25 minute video installation had me mesmerised. I particularly enjoyed the dance pieces with Wayne Sleep and fellow dancers. The colours in the footage are beautiful and very 2012; what we say in this season's fashion collections and in interiors.

Anyway, what I've taken away from Hockney's exhibition is to paint again and have the courage to take subjects and paint them in a palette that reflects how they make me feel. And so I've started to film my journey to work so I can take note of the beautiful Kent countryside I drive through every day. Who knows what I'll paint but I'll keep you posted.

2 comments: