Sunday 12 October 2008

Good things come to those who hoard

My name's Jen and I'm a hoarder. I hoard loads; quotes, pictures, mags, rags, crafty bits, packaging, it gets messy. But hoarding brings great things. Par example; my notebooks. Albeit chaotic, they carry a wealth of little gems, many of which sew their way into my life and my thinking processes. 

A year or so ago, I jotted down a quote by the Director of Media at the Tate which captured me as it was very true of me and how I view things. Said Will Gompertz, "Do something that is new and challenging. It helps you see things differently and makes the World seem a more interesting place". My latest new challenge which I've been wanting to do for some time now is life drawing. I love the natural form. Not in the nudist sense but I appreciate the shapes and tones found in the naked body, and in particular have always wanted to draw the female form as I love the curves we women so frequently moan about and perhaps don't appreciate.

2 weeks in, and I'm loving it. I'm already seeing an improvement in how I view perspectives and proportions. The challenge of 1 minute sketches and using unfamiliar mediums gives me a buzz, and I know what I learn in each class will only make me a greater, more versatile graphic designer. Anyway, enough waffling from me. Here's a little sketch from today's class.


 


1 comment:

  1. I admire anyone who can draw, so I envy your talent. Good work and great quote!

    ReplyDelete